Saturday 4 October 2014

Sunday Sentiments: 05 October 2014

Hi Crafty Bloggers!

So this is it! My very first post for Sunday Sentiments, a link party I'm planning to host each week. I hope lots of you will take part! If you're not familiar with the guidelines, just mosey over to my information page, where you can find out all you need to know.

The sentiment I'm sharing with you today is this:

"Live your life exactly how you want to be remembered."

This quote comes from a stamp set I won from the Kraafters Kommunity in their monthly giveaway on Google+.  It really made me think about who I am and how people might perceive me. I want to be remembered as a kind and compassionate person. As a reminder to myself, I created a canvas design that I'd like to share with you.



I'm not sure why I chose this tree motif, but I thought it was quite fitting for this sentiment. I titled this piece "The Night Garden" as the background is quite dark with bits of glitter twinkling here and there, reminiscent of reflections in the moonlight. (OK, I just made that up, but it's convincing, isn't it?)

I started out by covering the entire canvas with book pages using matte gel medium. (I tore up an old Jane Austin novel for this purpose. I thought it was best to use a classic novel to be on the safe side,so as not to end up with inappropriate words in my art work!) I made sure all corners and sides of the canvas got covered.


Next, I spread acrylic paints with my fingers covering the entire surface. I used three different colours: purple, phthalo blue and phthalo turquoise, blending them together. If you spread the paint in thin layers, the book print will show through nicely. I let the paint dry completely before stamping some circles with black archival ink and paper piecing the outline of a tree using my own gelli prints.


I continued paper piecing some leaves, butterflies and flowers - also cut from my gelli prints. I didn't use a stencil, I just free cut all the shapes. I like the rustic look it created! For the butterflies I used a Tim Holtz stamp set. I also stamped the sentiment on a gelli print background and mounted it onto a piece of card, which I suspended from the tree using some twine.  I was lucky to find a little metal birdhouse in my stash, which suited my project perfectly. It was just one of those happy coincidences!  As a finishing touch I added some Stickles glitter glue around the flowers and for the butterflies.











I hope you like my project! What is YOUR sentiment for us this week? I'd love to see your creations! Please share your links below by clicking on the blue button at the bottom of this post.
It is important that you link directly to your project and not your home page!
Remember to visit some of the other participants and leave them a message to let them know you were there! It's best to give them your number so they can easily find you. Happy blog hopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.