Tuesday 16 September 2014

Quick and easy personalized bookmarks

Last night as I was reading with my son we realized that we didn't have any proper bookmarks to use. I offered him one of my art tiles for this purpose, but he thought they were "too girly" so I promised to make him some others that would be more appropriate for his gender and social status (i.e. "cool"). True to my word, by the time he came home from school today I greeted him with his very own set of personalized bookmarks.

I didn't have much time to spend on this, so I had to find a quick way to create something suitably awesome for him. I remembered that he admired the tag in the scrapbook layout I had recently completed, so I decided to follow that pattern and use heat embossing as the main feature for the bookmarks.

He wanted something vivid so I spread some bright Liquitex acrylics and DecoArt neon paint on scrap pieces of watercolour card and blended the paints with my fingers. Fingers are so much easier to wash than brushes! When it was dry, I stamped his name with Perfect Medium on top of the bookmarks and heat embossed using copper embossing powder. I did the same for the main body of the bookmarks using various texture background stamps by Kaisercraft. Luckily, they fitted the space available perfectly, even though the bookmarks had not been measured for that purpose. Sometimes things just fall into place naturally! In no time at all, I created this set of four personalized bookmarks. I love them and so does my son! (We actually call him Mikey, but he recently started calling himself Mike - just as well, because I didn't have enough space for the 'Y'!)

Set of four personalized bookmarks





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.