Saturday 12 July 2014

Stamping with Derwent Inktense Blocks

Derwent Inktense blocks are hugely versatile. Apart from their usual applications, you can also use them to ink your stamps. I've found they don't work very well with my regular rubber stamps as they are too detailed, but they work great with my home-made lino stamps and foam stamps.

All you need to try this technique are some lino-cut or foam stamps, a mini mister and a few sticks of Derwent Inktense blocks in coordinating colours. Lightly mist the surface of the stamps with clean water, then apply 2 or 3 different Inktense blocks on the wet surface, mingling the colours without mixing them completely. The trick is to know when to stamp - if the surface is too wet, the design might bleed, and if it's too dry, it will not transfer properly. I usually wait until the stamps look just a bit "sticky" but not yet completely dry. If the water is still moving around on the surface, it is too wet.  Wait a few more seconds for it to dry a little and press firmly in place.  I like to keep it pressed down for a few seconds, especially when using on textile to give enough time for the material to soak up the ink.

Below are the results of my experiments stamping with Inktense blocks. First up are my lino-cut stamps on paper and textile.

Lino-cut stamps on paper

Lino-cut stamps on paper close-up

Lino-cut stamps on textile

Next, here are the images of one of my home-made foam stamps used with the Inktense blocks.

Foam stamps on paper

Foam stamps on paper close-up

Foam stamps on textile

Two quite different looks, I think.  I like the watercolour look that the lino-cut stamps created on paper. I find using them on textile less impressive though.  However, the Inktense used with the foam stamps transferred very well onto both paper and textile surfaces giving more crisp results. I will definitely be using this technique in my mixed media and art journaling projects in the future.

What do you think?  Which look do you prefer?  Have you tried using Inktense blocks this way? Please let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.